- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, secretaries and administrative assistants earned an hourly mean wage of $12.39 and an annual mean wage of $25,770 in Mississippi during May 2009.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics reveals how secretaries and administrative assistants earned a national hourly mean wage of $14.93 and an annual mean wage of $31,060 in May 2009. The national hourly wage was $2.54 above Mississippi's hourly wage. The national mean salary was $5,290 above Mississippi's annual mean.
- Salaries for secretaries, except legal, medical and executive secretaries, in Mississippi varied across metropolitan areas, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Metropolitan areas may stretch across multiple states. In May 2009, secretaries in the Gulfport-Biloxi, Mississippi, metropolitan area earned an annual mean wage of $28,180; Hattiesburg, Mississippi, $24,670; Jackson, Mississippi, $27,140; Memphis, Tennessee-Mississippi-Arkansas, $29,280; and Pascagoula, Mississippi, $26,480.
- Salaries for secretaries in Mississippi differed across regions, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. In May 2009, secretaries in northeast Mississippi earned an annual mean wage of $25,590; northwest Mississippi, $22,970; southeast Mississippi, $25,140; and southwest Mississippi, $24,800.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, national employment for secretaries is expected to increase at a rate of five percent from 2008 through 2018. Employment for secretaries in Mississippi is projected to experience a seven percent increase through 2016.